While updating my resume and applying for a new day job opportunity, I was asked to describe myself as a self - employed published author.
Of course I know what I do and I'd even described it several years back, but I wanted it fresh and up to professional standards.
I found a few good web sites that offered their description of a writer and then I worked the information into what I do as an erotic romance author.
The first thing is while a lot of us use the terms 'writer' & 'author' as though they are one and the same, they are actually two different beings all together.
Writer is someone who writes a book or article.
Author is essentially the person who originated the idea, plot or content of the ms being written.
In my case I am both :-)
Writing is my passion, yet if I want my works published it is a business.
So now I'm not only an author, but an accountant, marketer and deal maker.
So what is the description of an author :
• self-discipline and time management to organize
writing in conjunction with developing financial
• developing the technical skills of writing and maintaining originality;
• selecting subject matter;
• using literary skills to develop themes and story lines, while making characters and plots believable;
• research, including plot-lines, places, themes and characters;
• verifying the content is realistic;
• submitting material for publication in the required and expected format;
• communicating with publishers, editors, cover artists.
• encouraging and acting upon critical feedback in the most appropriate manner;
• being prepared to rewrite and revise work (often several times) following feedback;
• working tight deadlines.
I think these points not only describe what an author does from the writing aspect, but from the business aspect as well.
If I forgot anything, please post it, I'm not perfect, just me. :-)
I hope everyone has a fantastic Sunday and Happy Reading!!