Saturday, January 31, 2009

Crunching Numbers........


I bet you are wondering what number crunching I'm talking about....Well it's not the fun stuff...I know it is only the end of January and there it plenty of time but today I started to do book keeping...
Taxes................yup...I started to get all my bills and invoices in order for tax time....My desk was buried under all the invoices and everything....
Just imagine a big plastic bag with recepits...Yup..I shoved them into a bag and hit them in a drawer....Never going to do that again...
Since receipts tend to fade I had to make a copy of it so I have the hard copy in case I need it.....Then i stapled the original next to the copy.....
I had to organize them by date and then make the tables to list the categories the bill fell under, add it up and so on...
I just got the the stack of papers that is promotional items and all...Yeah um...not looking forward to working on that....I know it will take me a few days to get it all in order but it has also forced me to started the tables for 2009 bills and all..This way over the year I can just fill in the data instead of having to do it all at once....
You are probably asking why I don't make my tax person do it for me....Well the answer is simple...They charge an arm and a leg to do book keeping..That is money I can save and use towards promo items or a future convention....You know how it is...
Doing this stuff today made me also realize that I need to find some kind of program to organize the stuff...This way it is not such a huge task...
Any suggestions?....Do any of you do book keeping or do you get someone else to do it?
I can't believe that Jan is coming to an end already...Man the time flew by so fast..
I want to wish you a great weekend....
Savannah

6 comments:

C. A. Salo said...

OMG you sound like me, LOL.

I keep it all together, or try to. And have it in some sort of order for my CPA.

Yes, I have a CPA. I started that last year with three jobs that all considered me "self employed". So I hung up my number crunching and handed it to a professional.

I will make a cover sheet of what everything totals. Whether he looks at that or not *shrugs* no clue. But I like to see it.

Savannah Chase said...

C.A what is a CPA? Since I'm in Canada I gotta find someone who knows both USA and Canada tax since I have to do both if needed...

It is nuts to do number crunching...I have started to do the next round...so much left..

C. A. Salo said...

A CPA is a Certified Public Accountant.

Someone who does taxes for a living.

I don't recommend using H&R Block or any of those people. They only give a week or two training before they start doing other people's taxes.

I saw many a mistake when I worked for the Dept. of Treasury here.

Although they are now being held accountable if they make any mistakes.

That's just my opinion, and if you've been using someone like that for years and trust them, then by all means go with your gut.

You just want to make sure that if an error occurs you won't be held liable. GET THAT IN WRITING.

Wendi said...

Ugghhh....did you have to remind me? I'm so dreading this. I do the same thing and save it all up to do at once. I tally all the totals and then ship them off to my CPA.

Writers should not have to deal with numbers. There should be a law. We are letter experts, shouldn't that be enough? :)

Wendi Darlin

Savannah Chase said...

see for me it is even more crazy since I have to do both USA and Canada taxes..it is hard to find someone here that knows both laws....

Savannah Chase said...

Wendi I agree, we should not have to ...LOL...

We write not do numbers...it would be a lot easier......