Thursday, July 10, 2008

First Loves

I'm an aunt again!! Yesterday, one of my sisters had a beautiful little girl. Both mom and baby are doing great.

I've got another baby coming soon, too. THE WATER BEARER (written as Wendi Christner), a coming of age story that I wrote a couple of years ago has finally found a home at BookStrand, and is scheduled to be released July 30th. THE WATERBEARER is not erotic, and really is the "book of my heart." My grandparents' relationship inspired the story. They were first loves who grew old together, raised kids and grandkids, worked hard, and never lost that gleam in their eyes. They truly were in love, and that love carried them through some tough times.

My sister, who just had a baby, is also married to her first love. They were high school sweethearts, and this is their third child. So this morning I'm sitting on my parents' porch in rural north Florida, and thinking about relationships. I'm lucky. Plain and simple. I've got one of the best marriages I've ever encountered. My husband is supportive, understanding, and a loving father. But best of all, we have a strong commitment and deep love for one another. I know that's not easy to find, and I'm certain, it's even more difficult to find the first time around. But some people do. My grandparents. My sister. There are others in my immediate family who are happily married to their first loves, too. It's more common to settle down early in rural areas than in the urban world. Here the world revolves around family. Maybe because there aren't as many distractions. Maybe because of the cultural mindset. Whatever it is, and however it looks to people on the outside, there's something to be said for a quiet life surrounded by those you love.

Last night my step-brother was excited about a new recliner he got. Not because he could do his man-thing and fall asleep in front of the tv, but because it was big enough to rock both his babies in. I think that touched me deeper than anything I've heard him say before. Maybe it's this country air, and the fact that I can't hear any traffic, unless some of my relatives are making their way up the driveway. Maybe it's just because new babies make you remember what life's all about. Whatever it is, I'm feeling a little lucky this morning to have grown up where I did, and have the family that I have. I hope all of you are as lucky as I am.

Wendi Darlin
www.wendidarlin.com

3 comments:

Paige Tyler said...

Congratulation, Wendi!

*hugs*
Paige

LA Day said...

Congrats, Wendi!

Wendi said...

Thanks, Paige and LA. :) It was nice to visit with family and be there for the grand arrival. It's amazing that I can actually survive without internet access. Who knew? :) I borrowed my sister's laptop and wireless card to post this blog and the connection was so slow I was ready to pull my hair out. :)

I'll be posting this next week's blog from the beach. :)

Wendi Darlin